Thresholds of the Soul was conceived in response to the increasing polarisation we see in the world today that risks our survival as a race. It seems the only way we can find our centre in life is by projecting our pain and sense of separation on to others.
Sadly, no one is immune from the tendency to project their internal pain onto others, and so we are all responsible to bridge and reconcile the divided self within.
Our mission is to create a supremely gentle space in which we can be courageously honest with each other, about our experience of separation. Our vision is we have the imagination to reveal new ways to reintegrate the divided self, and, in experiencing the dignity of wholeness, offer the same to everyone we meet.
At the heart of the Thresholds of the Soul core philosophy is a simple idea; that while the true Self is one and indivisible, we experience it as threefold: an adaptive, a heroic, and a wounded self. It is these artificial divisions that lie at the heart of our sense of separation, and which underpin our tendency to self sabotage. It is also here we find the thresholds we must cross to embrace our full humanity.
Amongst the most important thresholds we must address, is the one we find between the adaptive and wounded selves. The adaptive self’s original task was to establish our place in the world, by distancing us from the pain of our wounded experience. Seeking shortcuts and quick fixes, the adaptive self is not well suited to the task of defining a more purposeful existence because it wishes to do so without acknowledging our hurt.
To become whole, we need to understand that the adaptive self’s development came at a cost. For it to live a bargain had to be struck. To distance ourselves from the suffering of our wound and establish our place in the world, it was necessary to cut ourselves off from a part of our core essence, which was most threatened or threatening to others. Suppressed into the shadow of the unconscious, this part of our core essence remained out of reach – ‘safely at arms length’.
However, denied the light of self-awareness, what we hid in the shadow of our unconscious, was prone to become distorted. To keep ourselves safe we typically project the image of such distortions onto others, yet under stress they can make themselves known in our own behaviour.
To realise the True Self we must therefore especially consider the trade that off that gave birth to the adaptive and wounded selves. By recognising that, as the great poet Rumi said, the wound is indeed the place where the light enters us, it is possible to re-integrate what was once lost, and therein find inner peace and purpose.
Nick is a Master Certified Coach, and healer of 25 years experience in the human potential movement. He is known for his skill in guiding his clients to compassionately embrace the full expression of their humanity, especially those parts they have marginalised or placed into the shadow.
In a desire to escape an awkward and painful past, throughout his life, Nick has frequently mistaken his own adaptive and often reactive life strategies as evidence of a purposeful existence. Today, he delights in finally moving slow enough to discover that our purpose and indeed our spirituality can be found at the heart of our messy humanity. It is through embracing our chaos and mess rather than resisting or trying to control it, that true healing is found.
He created Thresholds of the Soul to provide the space and presence in which others can do the same. He lives in France within sight of the Pyrenees mountains, with his family, who keep his feet on the ground and heart open to possibility.
Other career credentials for those who need to know:
- Personal life and leadership coach since 2006. ICF MCC accreditation.
- Leadership Circle Profile Accreditation.
- CTI Senior Faculty Member – Fundamentals, Intermediate series; Corporate programs; Certification Program – training 1000s of new coaches and business leaders seeking to leverage the power of coaching skills in the workplace to further their leadership.
- Organisations worked with include: Mozilla Corp; Burberry; Microsoft; BASF, Roche, Google, US Government, IDEO.
- Before becoming a coach Nick worked variously, for 15 years, as an Integrated Breath Therapist, Reiki Healer, Meditation Teacher in the Advaita Vedanta tradition, and a guide to sacred sites of the British Isles.
- Post Graduate Certificate Integrated Movement and Performance Studies, Thomas Prattki Centre, Berlin.
- MA in Radio and Television Scriptwriting from Salford University.
- Former journalist writing for The Guardian, The Independent, The Ecologist, and producer creating radio programs for the BBC.